Rank Em'- Quarterbacks 2010

Category: , ,

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I received a lot of feedback from my Rank Em' Running backs post that I did a couple of weeks ago. So I decided to keep the party going.

The one thing that's important in the NFL is the Quarterback position. If your team has any chance of making the playoffs, the QB position is one of the most important pieces needed. Of course, we've seen good teams that had sub par QBs (My 2000 Ravens is one that comes to mind), but you can't consistently win without a durable leader.

I've some up with my list of the top 20 QBs currently in the league. Of course, these are the thoughts and opinions of your girl, The NFL Chick.


1. Drew Brees, Saints-
I don't think anyone had as great a year as Drew Brees did in 2009. He lead the league in QB Rating, completion % and TDs. But he also won the biggest prize, Super Bowl MVP in the Saints win over the Colts. With his core group returning for 2010, I don't see why he'll drop off in 2010.

2. Peyton Manning , Colts- We all know as long as Peyton Manning is behind center, he'll always be a Top 3 QB. The 2009 NFL MVP is a true student of the game and no matter who he throws to, he always comes out smelling like roses. I could give you stats all day, but it's no need. Dude is still awesome at what he does, which is picking defenses apart

3. Aaron Rodgers, Packers- I believe this is the year Rodgers breaks the Top 3 QB discussion. While I think Tom Brady will have a very good year, I think Aaron Rodgers will have a slightly better one. Green Bay looks very promising this year and it all starts with Rodgers. Brett who???

4. Tom Brady, Patriots- Tom Brady wasn't the Tom Brady we knew in 2009. But I also have to remind myself that Brady's knee injury can sometimes have a 2 year turnaround. Remember, Wes Welker and Randy Moss is still on this team. As long as they are healthy, he'll be just fine. I expect to see Brady return to the QB we all know and love (or hate)

5. Philip Rivers, Chargers- Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Everyone KNOWS how I love Philip so. Vincent Jackson holding out does hurt River's numbers, but Rivers is good enough to make others shine, not the other way around. Malcolm Floyd is a very good WR who will see more reps in VJ's absence. Gates was just re-signed to a new deal and the addition of RB Ryan Mathews via draft helps him big time, since he was missing a run game last year. My boo will be fine, as long as his starting left tackle is on the field.

6. Brett Favre*, Vikings- As you can see, I have an asterisk near Old Man Favre's name. Because as of right now, his 2010 playing status is in limbo. But if he DOES play, then Favre will go back to being "The Man" in Minnesota. Only Favre could have thrown a winning TD pass to Greg Lewis. Right.. I've never heard of him either........

7. Matt Schaub, Texans- The AFC is loaded with good QBs, but Schaub is probably one of the most underrated guys in the game. A top 10 QB in yards, comp % and TDs, Schaub is the reason why I think Houston will give Indy a run for their AFC South title this season. Yes, I know Andre Johnson makes things happen. But he doesn't throw the ball to himself.

8. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers- Say what you want, but Big Ben is the one of the best QBs I've seen within the final 2 mins of a game. I've seen Ben stink it up, only to bring his team to a victory within the last mins (I still have nightmares on the Holmes TD catch in the Ravens-Steelers game in '08). Ben is a gamer, a reason why he's a Top 10 in my book.

9. Tony Romo, Cowboys- People love to hate on Romo, but if you look past the hate, he's a very durable QB. With the addition of Dez Bryant, the Cowboys have arguably one of the best WR corps in the league. Kinda hard for Romo to fail. And I expect him to pass pretty easily this season.

10. Joe Flacco, Ravens- Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I promise you this isn't a biased pick. I think Joe Flacco has what it takes to be a top 10 QB and this is the year he does it. He has newly acquired WR Anquan Boldin, Donte Stallworth, along with 2 very good TE draft picks in Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson. Oh, and Ray Rice can catch too! Yeah, I think 2010 can be a good one for Flacco

11. Matt Ryan, Falcons- Matt Ryan's 2nd year wasn't epic, mainly because he was injured during the course of the 2009 season. While some people think that Ryan and Flacco should flip in rankings, I don't. That doesn't mean I don't think highly of Ryan, though. His offense is as good as Flacco's, minus the running backs.

12. Donovan McNabb, Redskins- Some may say McNabb's listed too high, Redskins fans may say McNabb is too low. Whatever the case, I think he will be just fine DC. I would give him a better ranking if I had faith in his WRs. I'm sorry if I don't get excited with the likes of Santana Moss and Joey Galloway. But McNabb will make it work. He's a vet

13. Jay Cutler, Bears- Call me crazy, but I see this as a redemption year for Jay Cutler. I don't think we can question his ability. We've seen Cutler be very good (he threw for 45 TD between 2007 and 2008) and even though he was more bad than good in 2009 (league-high 26 INTs last year), I think Cutler finds some old Broncos form with the addition of OC Mike Martz.

14. Carson Palmer, Bengals- Injuries in the past few years have me wondering where Palmer WOULD be, had he stayed healthy. But even with injuries, Palmer is still a good signal-caller. With the addition of Terrell Owens and the drafting of Jermaine Gresham, the Bengals offense looks like they can be explosive.

15. Eli Manning, Giants- Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Although the G-Men went 8-8 last year, Manning quietly had a solid year, throwing 27 TD while completing 62% of his passes. Manning needs his WRs to step up this year big time. But I think Manning reminds people this year that the Giants aren't to be overlooked in the NFC East

16. Chad Henne, Dolphins- Henne has all of the upside in the world. Henne's numbers weren't stellar once he became the starter in '09 (12 TDs, 14 INTs) but let me give you two words: Brandon and Marshall. Henne has shown to be a leader on the football field and I expect that to continue in 2010 with the big upgrade at receiver.

17. Vince Young, Titans- As an athlete, I think Vince Young is great. I'm just not as high on his pure QB skills. Young is a leader on the field, which is definitely important. I do, however, question his leadership off-the-field. We still don't know how Kenny Britt will blossom (even though I think he will be a good receiver in the league), but Young is still Top 20 worthy

18. Kevin Kolb, Eagles- Yes.. I think Kevin Kolb is good enough to be on this list. Let's look past the Reed INT, please. That was 2008!! In the 5 games he played in 2009, Kolb completed nearly 65% of his passes. I understand the potential that Andy Reid sees, and it doesn't hurt that DeSean Jackson is on his sideline with him. Give Kolb a chance, people!

19. Alex Smith, 49ers- In my opinion, Alex Smith has ZERO excuses not to be on my list this year. He has Michael Crabtree and Vernon Davis to throw to, not to mention Frank Gore to run the ball. I think this is a turnaround year for the 49ers and it starts at the QB position. This is a playoff team in the making. Smith has this year to prove himself, and I think he will.

20. Jason Campbell, Raiders- Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Campbell to the Raiders will be good for all parties involved. Campbell needed a fresh start after a rocky tenure with the Redskins. But the Raiders have a lot of good talent on offense that people don't talk about. I think Zach Miller is one of the most underrated TEs in the league. I also think Louis Murphy is a durable receiver. The verdict on Darrius Heyward-Bey isn't in yet, but he's fast, right?!

Let me know what you think. Who did I miss? Who was ranked too high or low? Share your thoughts and analysis in my comments section.

Comments (9)

Brady with 3 Super Bowl wins and 4 appearances has to be #1. Big Ben has to be ranked higher with 2 Super Wins. THERE IS NO WAY Flacco and Ryan should be ranked ahead of Palmer and McNabb. Has Aaron Rodgers ever even won a playoff game???

With the exception of #20, I would want the Bears to have any of the QBs you listed after Cutler. Ugh.

Is this based on fantasy football no way Tom Brady is number 4 based on winning football games #1 clucth Qb for game winning drives one of few who proved they can win without pro bowl receivers McNabb is another but he is ranked 12th no way

Nice list; I think you have Romo ranked a little too low. He has a ton of passing options, a great OL and some nice RBs to keep defenses on their toes. And he threw for over 4k last season. I's have him at 5 and bump everyone else down a notch.

@Comedian this is not about wins and SBs. This is about QB ability and how I feel they will be ranked once the season ends. The Steelers won one of those SB in SPITE of Ben, so that point is moot. ANd not sure if you knew this but Flacco had better #s than Palmer last year, in every way imaginable. He's earned his spot.

I think for this season, with only seeing names listed and not really seeing these guys play yet, the list looks good. Glad you noted Alex Smith on your list. He has a great opportunity to win the NFC West with the departure of Warner in Arizona and Crabtree being in camp for the entire time.

First, this is a great list. I dont have much issue with your top 10. I'd prob put Favre at my #3 given his season last year and put Romo ahead of Schaub.

I'd also flip Donovan & Eli. McNabb throws far too many balls into the dirt. Think he might be falling off. I'd put Kolb ahead of Henne & Campbell has to at least be better than Alex Smith. I think I'd put Sanchez ahead of the both of them though.

Im 100% Siding with the Comedian.. and how does Kevin Kolbe make ANY Topp 20 list??

ROMO SUCKS go mcnabb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post a Comment